Monday, October 27, 2008

Troy Davis- Are Innocent Men Still Being Executed By The State?

I just heard about the case of Troy Davis this past Friday while staying at my Grama Betty's. I had went to her house because she had to have her cancer surgery this morning so I was house and doggy sitting this weekend. I finally got home and have been trying to find more information on Troy.



I do not know whether he is alive or has been executed. I'm pretty sure that I'm seeing there was a stay of execution placed by 11th Circuit Court on Friday, but the latest I heard on Friday was that the Supreme Court was not going to intervene. The time of execution was slated for 3 hours ago so I can only hope that the info on Amnesty International's page is correct and his case will be re-examined.

Troy has been on death row in GA for the past 17 years, his conviction was for the murder of a police officer Mark Allen MacPhail. During the trial no physical evidence was provided, no weapon has ever been found, and since the trial, 7 of the 9 witnesses have recanted their testimony, and many have provided sworn affidavits stating that they were pressured or coerced into providing their testimony. These affidavits are horrifying.

Witness Dorothy Farrell stated.... "I also felt like I had to cooperate with the officer because of my being on parole…I told the detective that Troy Davis was the shooter, even though the truth was that I didn’t see who shot the officer.” Ok,why was this witness even worried about the fact that she was on parole... that is unless the cops planned on or threatened to use that against her if she didn't do what they wanted??? Click the link above to read more from other "witnesses".

One of the two witnesses who has not recanted their testimony is Sylvester "Red" Coles – whom, according to the defense, is an alternative suspect and in which there is new evidence implicating him as the gunman. Nine individuals have signed affidavits implicating Sylvester Coles in the murder of MacPhail.

This story absolutely sickens me. Growing up, I had always been a supporter of the death penalty; however, over the last few years I've begun to reexamine my idea's, and after watching "The Life of David Gale", I've found myself more in opposition to the death penalty. The story of Troy Davis saddens me beyond this all. What happened to "BEYOND REASONABLE DOUBT"? Troy was never afforded this bullshit slogan; Which is truly sad. For we ourselves, in the United States, are no less barbaric than those we condemn in Saudi Arabia-- The only difference is Saudi Arabia murders their citizens in a public forum, and the United States does not.

The word HYPOCRITE comes to mind.

Check out Troy Davis' website by clicking here.

Please check out the Amnesty International website about Troy Davis and then click here to sign the petition to demand clemency for Troy.

Please, Please, PLEASE.... Take time to learn and to see what our government is doing to our people... to our brothers and sisters. This may seem like an inconsequential story to you, but if we let them get away with this... I guarantee you, someone you know and love will be next!

No comments: